The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, January 16, 2015

September 20 - 26, 1947



Saturday, September 20, 1947

I washed new dog. Bill, kids and I went to town with Kennard. Uncle Sulmore came home from hospital. Jean got word from Stew Peck. Folks can come December 7.


Sunday, September 21, 1947

We bought our car today off Charlie and Jeans. A good one too. Cloudy and cold. Rainy.



Monday, September 22, 1947

Mama, Betty and I went down to see the Glidden tour of cars. It was swell. Betty’s pictures came, were good. Bill, kids and I went for a ride in car. Rained by showers hard all day.




Tuesday, September 23, 1947

Nice day. Mama went down to doctors with Dot and Aunt Mina. I washed a few things.



Wednesday, September 24, 1947

We canned tomatoes and made tomato juice.



Thursday, September 25, 1947

We made tomato mincemeat. Very cold. Kennie got his car back. It had been stolen.



Friday, September 26, 1947

Cold and clear. Dr. Mabry called. Need to go to Portland to get Ed Davis. Al (?) Lutherhale took me in his taxi. Betty went too.


No comments:

Post a Comment