The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

January 24 - 30, 1948 Crooks Arrive From Scotland



Saturday, January 24, 1948

Very cold. Got my hair done. It snowed and blowed at night. Mr. and Mrs. Crook arrived in New York. Bill went to Portland to meet them. I stayed at Charlie’s. We met them there. They are nice. Jean had an awful cold when she came home.

John Robertson and Betsy Creighton Baxter Crook - Bill's Parents




Sunday, January 25, 1948

Nice day but cold. Joy here for weekend. I didn’t sleep any last night. Bill, Betty and I down to see Bill’s folks in p.m.

 

Monday, January 26, 1948

Finish cleaning the kitchen. Delores came up in p.m. Billie came home sick. Jean wanted us to come down, car wouldn’t start.



Tuesday, January 27, 1948

We washed. Bill and I went down to see his mother and father in eve. They have colds.



Wednesday, January 28, 1948

Still cold. Dr. Mabry called to see Billie. I cleaned up the house.



Thursday, January 29, 1948

I ironed. Billie better.



Friday, January 30, 1948

No school, teachers convention. Very cold, windy day. Bill worked. I washed. 16 eggs. Billie still home.

No comments:

Post a Comment